MOUNT VERNON – Beginning Monday, March 16, the Northwest Clean Air Agency will modify its daily operations in response to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
“We’re asking employees to telecommute as much as possible for the foreseeable future, based on advice from local and state health officials about reducing the chances of spreading coronavirus,” said Mark Buford, the agency’s executive director.
“We will remain fully operational and completely committed to fulfilling our mission to protect the air quality in Island, Skagit and Whatcom counties. But we will do our work with special consideration given to protecting our community and helping to prevent or delay the spread of the COVID-19 virus,” Buford said.
Some employees will work at times in NWCAA’s Mount Vernon office, but the office will be closed to the public.
Here’s how you can reach NWCAA if you have questions about permitting or other issues:
- Call 360-428-1617 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. There may be temporary delays if calls are routed to employees working outside of the office.
- Email [email protected].
- Use our website, https://nwcleanairwa.gov/, to reach us via the “Contact Us” function on the homepage.
- File a complaint by calling 360-428-1617 or by going to https://nwcleanairwa.gov/permits-and-services/enforcement/complaints/.
- Follow us on Twitter (@NWCleanAir) and Facebook.
- Send mail to NWCAA, 1600 South 2nd Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273.
NWCAA staff will continue to follow the recommendations of local and state health officials and resume normal operations as soon as possible.
The Northwest Clean Air Agency is responsible for enforcing federal, state and local air quality regulations in Island, Skagit, and Whatcom counties. In addition to permitting and regulating industrial sources of air pollution, the agency provides services and information related to asbestos, indoor air quality, outdoor burning, wood stoves, and fireplaces. More information about the agency is available at https://nwcleanairwa.gov.